Thursday, September 29, 2016

This is what I trained for!

Once again, I completed another running training plan... this time for 10k. When my trainer friend gave it to me, I was shocked that although it was definitely a training plan for 10k, there wasn't one run on the schedule that took me 10k! She told me that once I get up to 9k, that last 1k is peanuts...cue nervous laughter at that comment!! How can running an additional kilometer after already having run 9... be peanuts?! She must be a crazy half marathon runner...

Thankfully, with the time I had to complete the training plan, I was able to do a 10k on my own before doing my 10k race. I had so many emotions that day that I ran 10k. It was a mental game in the morning as I got ready to run my first 10k in 5 years, but it went SO well!! The trail in my area was closed to any activity because of the extremely dry conditions, so I had to hit the road. I was really excited about 3k in to see my trainer friend waiting to join me for 5k of the run. She made a comment when she started running to just keep doing what I was doing and to pretend she wasn't there. So I did. I kept one headphone in so that my techno and Meghan Trainor's tunes could keep me going! I was so proud when I got home and had completed my 10k in a record breaking 1:04:54. The last time I ran 10k (2011) my time was 1:27!! To have just taken 23 minutes off my time I really couldn't be more proud!! The most satisfying part of this run though, was knowing that I could do it. I knew at this point, that the 10k race I would be doing at the end of August, wasn't as much of a daunting task.

It was just after this run that I started having SEVERE hip pain during my runs, and limping for a day or two after my runs. Short story with this is I ended up having to start physio as some of my hip muscles weren't strengthened for the longer distances. 6 weeks later, I'm still in physio, but it's winding down (I hope). The hardest part about an injury is resting. It has been 6-7 months of consistent running and working out, so to have to take a break from most of it was a hard pill to swallow. Thankfully there was only one week of almost no activity and then I was able to build it back up.

August 28th was the big day for my official 10k race! My trainer friend signed up for the 5k of this race, so we took the opportunity to travel together. What is the worst part about signing up for races? The right answer is the start time. My friend picked me up at dark o'clock- also known as something just after 7am. I have to laugh because I'm not exactly known as a morning person, so she was expecting the hour long drive would be in silence, but much to hers (and my) surprise, I was chatty the whole way. Now, when you're not a morning person and someone pulls up to your house with music pumping and they're car dancing.. it could be a long drive. Thankfully- the music was good and the drive felt short. When we got to the starting point, we picked up our race kits and got ready to line up. My bib number was 75, and there were a few moments of panic thinking there were only a handful of people doing the run and am I going to be fast enough to ensure that I don't come last?! Courteney was able to talk me down from that and we headed for the line up. We took the obligatory pre race selfie and we waited!



I have to say- I expected to be a bag of nerves for the day before and the morning of- but I wasn't! It was like I trusted the training process I had been through and knew I could do it. There were between 300-400 people doing the different distances, and most of us started at the same time. I started out really strong, felt really good with my running, I got to see my friend head back after the 2.5k turn around point! High fived and kept going. By the 5k mark, I still felt REALLY good!! Between the 4-6k point there were great signs posted on poles and chalk messages written on the road!


(You trained too hard to walk- MOVE IT!)
 

(Pain is temporary, internet results are forever)

Then just before the 7k mark, I was starting to hit the inevitable mental wall. And then I heard someone text me, so as a distraction to my running, naturally, I checked it! It was my sister! IT was a simple message, but it was a good one- "Go get em"... so I sent her this picture... exactly where I was in my race

7k/10k! She replied back "You're rocking it.. goooooo Jill!". This was honestly the exact motivation I need to hear. So I lifted my head and started picking who I'd use as my pace bunny and who I could pass! The 8.5-9.5K was the hardest. Hands down. I was hot, I was tired and I really just wanted to be done. It was somewhere in this time frame too, that I started feeling the hip pain come through. So I was tapping out.
Courteney got cold after her 5k, before I finished so she snatched up my sweater.

Look at that!! A smile on my face at the end of 10k!!




My trainer friend was waiting for me close to the finish and I was SO happy to see here there! Partly because I knew the finish line was close. We ran it in together and I couldn't be happier!! I finished in 1:04:15!! There were lots of high fives, hugs and smiles after crossing that finish line! I already can't wait to do it again! Valley Harvest 10k in October, with a couple 5k's before that!!

2 comments:

  1. You continue to push your limits and I love watching you crush your goals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ROCKING it! Can't wait to see you at the BLT in October :)

    ReplyDelete